Friday 14 October 2011

The Canton Arms & Great Queen street

The Canton Arms http://www.cantonarms.com/ is a lovely old school sort of pub between Stockwell & Vauxhall that does amazingly good British food. It's owned by the same people who run the Hope & Anchor on the Cut & Great Queen Street restaurant in Covent garden/Holborn http://twitter.com/#!/greatqueenst. Earlier this year I had a great fish dinner there with Daisy & one Sunday a month or 2 ago I popped there for lunch. I had been to meet a letter carver called Richard Kindersley http://www.kindersleystudio.co.uk/ who has a studio in Kennington. He was seeing what my lettering skills were like (not very good), so after my test I felt a little peckish so got the bus down the road to The Canton Arms.
Inky

I sat at the bar & ordered a little carafe of lovely house white wine. I can't say I was starving so I ordered 2 starters. They consisted of a plate of squid with fennel on toast served with it's ink which was perfectly cooked & very tender & a very refreshing salad of courgette, mint & pecorino! Both were absolutely delicious! I had to have there version of a tiramisu which was amazing. Probably one of the best tiramisu I've had out! It had a real nice crunchy biscuity thing going on & I could of had 2. They also do toasties in the pub section that look excellent & alway's have great ales on tap. A great pub with amazing food!
Bloody good!


Onto Great Queen Street which I've been to many times but had to mention because of a fantastic meal I had the other night. The last couple of times had been a little disappointing. This was mainly for not so great service & a radish dish that involved dipping them into a soft boiled egg which was way overcooked!

So the other night me & daisy (after La Traviata at The Royal Opera House, lah di dah) decided to go. The bread & butter that was given was lovely & we scoffed it down. We also had a carafe of chilled red wine which was very tasty. I went straight in for a pork chop with pureed peas & Daisy ordered hare ragu with spelt, which googled say's "Species of wheat". The pork chop was fantastic! It took 25 min to cook (they did pre warn) & had all the crispy, fatty bits in the right place.The pureed peas were sweet & yummy & we also had a side order of greens (cabbage) that were perfect. Daisy's hare was very tasty though I think she had a bit of food envy! For dessert I had 1 scoop of damson ice cream which was really fruity & delicious. The atmosphere is always great & the service was excellent. Very friendly & charming so will keep on going back many more times.

No comments:

Post a Comment