Friday 5 August 2011

Pollen Street Social

Daisy sent me a link to Pollen Street Social http://www.pollenstreetsocial.com/ & said we should try it! I had a look & realised the head chef was Jason Atherton who used to cook at Maze, A Gordon Ramsay Restaurant where I remember having one of the most amazing meals ever, a sort of tapas/asian fusion with lot's of other things going on. One of my old friends Grant was coming to London for the night so I booked lunch for the three of us, which at £23.50 for 3 courses sounded like a great deal.

We went on a lovely sunny day & I don't know what it was but there seemed a very relaxed atmosphere in the room, very bright & airy. One of the staff had given Daisy a key with a number on which we had to give in at the end of a meal to receive a special gift, very intriguing. Service was very friendly & I went straight in for a bottle of Italian Red wine, just to ease the journey. On the set lunch menu there were 3 starters, 3 mains & 3 desserts so a perfect & easy way to order because we all ordered different things.

Curd
I chose for starter the "Innes Farm goat’s curd, beetroot, pine nut" which I actually thought was going to be boring but I thought it was the best starter of the 3. Everything on the plate just seemed to go together & just the right amount of seasoning. Daisy had cold "Vale of Evesham pea soup “hot or cold”, mint oil, English crayfish, pea sorbet" which looked lovely but Daisy said it could of done with out the crayfish & the sorbet disappeared straight away. Grant had the " BBQ mackerel, cucumber chutney, frozen ajo blanco" which looked lovely & tasted nice but I got the best starter.

Cod
For main I went for the "Scottish cod ‘aioli’, vegetable salad, cockles" which was very light & fresh. The cod was lovely & tender but could of done with a little bit more seasoning. Someone on the table next to us asked for salt & pepper & the waiter said they didn't have any for customers so I didn't bother asking. Daisy went for the "Roasted Holly Farm chicken, gravy, sage & onion, bread mousse" which looked & tasted delicious. The bread mousse was wonderful & the chicken was very tasty. A great roast. Grant went for the "Roasted Cotswold lamb rump, Summer vegetables, creamed goat’s curd, gooseberries" Which was equally amazing & I think the best dish of the day. The lamb was delicious & I had a lovely crispy bit on the outside, MMMhhhhhh.




Sangria Mousse
For dessert I went for the "Sangria mousse, citrus cream, blood orange granita" which was fluffy, light & had a good wobble to it whilst Daisy & Grant both went for the "Apple caramel “puff”, vanilla ice cream & Calvados" which looked lovely but the "puff" looked a little to crispy to me & everybody else. All pretty tasty though.

Puff
At the end we handed our key in & got given a little box full of....... better not give the surprise away, hahaahahah . Lovely meal though & definitely would go back. Even saw Gary Lineker there to looking rather happy with himself!

No comments:

Post a Comment