Monday 1 August 2011

Spuntino!

Me & Daisy went to try Spuntino http://www.spuntino.co.uk/, one of the restaurants run by the same people who run the Italian restaurants Polpo & Polpetto in Soho. Spuntino is also in Soho, on Rupert street to be precise & on one of the saucier streets around.

In fact I had been walking past Spuntino quite a few times & never realised it was there because it has no boards or signs up, just a scrawl above a frosty window with Spuntino written on it.
We went around 6 on a Thursday night & it was already quite busy. We only had to wait for 10 minutes though & like Polpo they do not take reservations so the wait can be a while in the evenings so we were lucky. 

It's quite beautiful inside, the walls are tiled & it's lowly lit giving the room a mellow & old school feel. We sit at the bar & start off with a Negroni cocktail & Scan the menu. There's lots of little dishes, same as Polpo which I have ate at before, but there is also an Italian/American feel to the menu with dishes such as Mac & Cheese. 

We don't order this mind you & start with a pulled pork & pickled apple dish which is like a mini burger on a small brioche bun. It's pretty delicious & I wish I had a whole one to myself! Our eggplant chips come at the same time which are coated in breadcrumbs & sesame seeds & served with a yogurt dip which are pretty interesting as well as some stuffed fried olives which taste very meaty & delicious. My dad used to cook aubergine chips when I was a kid & I preferred those a lot more but these were very tasty. The worse dish was a salad of duck ham, pecorino and mint salad. There wasn't much of the duck ham & I can't really remember it tasting of mint much either. 

Then we moved onto the Truffle egg toast which I had heard about & was looking forward to trying. It was "egg"cellent (sorry). It basically is a lovely crusty piece of toast covered with Fontina cheese, truffle oil & a soft boiled egg placed in the middle so when you cut into the egg, the yolk oozes out all over the bread base. This was wonderful, very rich & filling. Me & Daisy were pretty full but I just wanted to try one more dish so went for the Soft shell crab with a spicy aioli dip. This was equally excellent, crispy & the spicy aioli dip actually had some heat to it. I would of liked to of had dessert but actually felt a bit to full after all of this but next time I go the peanut butter & jelly sandwich is definitely going to get tried.
With the meal we had a carafe of house white which was very nice & will definitely go back sometime soon. In fact I preferred Spuntino to Polpo where I had a very average dinner & an pretty good lunch but I do have to go back again. Oh & after I managed to get a dessert but it was ice cream at Gelupo http://www.gelupo.com/ which has to be the best ice cream in London that I've tried at the mo. The other night I had Lemon curd ice cream & the day before that I had black forest gateaux ice cream! I've been going for months & every time I go there's something new & amazing to try.  Definite must! 

No comments:

Post a Comment